Home About Shop Featured Contact Sponsor

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Homemade Peppermint Patties


Oh, you guys better be afraid! Trust me when I say that these are unbelievable! Because I couldn't keep my hands off these little suckers, I don't want you to miss out on these either! and I need someone to get fat with me over the holiday season! so here's what you need...

For the middles:
5-6 cups icing sugar
1 can of sweetened condensed milk
3 tbsp softened butter
2.5 tsp mint extract
1 tsp vanilla extract

For the coating:
Roughly 2.5 cups of dark chocolate baking pieces

Instructions
Combine all the ingredients for the middles in a bowl, stir all together until a firm, not sticky, dough appears. Start with 5 cups of icing sugar and if needed add in some more icing sugar until you have a pliable but firm dough.

Line two baking sheets with wax paper. Take tiny bits of dough and roll into balls roughly 1/2 inch thick in the palm of your hand, set on baking sheet and flatten. I did a few that were quite flat and some that were thicker and found that the thicker center tasted better than the flatter one...but that just may be me?!
Place in freezer to harden for about 20 minutes.

For the coating...
In a small microwaveable measuring cup place 1 cup of chocolate pieces. {I melted in 1 cup increments, not sure why, but I did} Microwave on half power for 2 mins, stirring every 30 seconds. Only heat it enough that the chips are melted, not boiling hot! You just want to temper the chocolate.




Remove the patties from the freezer and place one on a fork. Dip the fork into the chocolate until pattie is covered. Gently tap fork onto the side of cup to remove excess chocolate and place back onto baking sheet.  After all the patties are covered, allow to harden and enjoy!!! I also stored them in the freezer for up to a month and they still tasted heavenly!


Are you drooling yet?
Enjoy!

Linking up with Blissful & DomesticTatertots & Jello, A Night Owl BlogAlderberry Hill, Homemaker on a Dime, The Kurtz Corner, Homework, Live Laugh Rowe, Happy Hour Projects, Adorned From Above

Photobucket
    Follow along on Twitter  Facebook  Pinterest

13 comments:

Carly said...

Oh man, these look AMAZING!

Carly
www.lipglossandcrayons.com

Pride In Photos Beauty said...

TOTALLy beautiful!!!
Laurie

Taara said...

Totally trying this! Especially since we can't buy them here in brazil.

Ashley said...

I can't make these because they would be gone the same day. My mom makes them and I love love love love love them.

ColibriNB said...

Oh boy - I could really get in trouble with these - they look yummy!

Unknown said...

Yes, I am drooling. They look fantastic! I would love if you would share these on Super Sweet Saturday! Have a great weekend!
Steph
swtboutique.com

Becca said...

These look perfect! Found your yummy recipe via Tatertots and Jello. Now I must pin it. :)

ahumblebumble.blogspot.com

Niki {Glossy Blonde} said...

I love peppermint patties! I never thought to make them from home! These look so yummy!

Rasmussen Family said...

i definitely wouldn't have thought i could make these at home! they look delish. can't wait to get fatter too:)

Adorned From Above said...

These look delicious. Peppermint patties are my favorite candy. I have a link party called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Blog Hop and would love to have you share this with everyone. It runs from Wednesday through midnight Sunday. Here is the link to the party.
http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/12/6-crafts-and-recipes-and-wednesdays.html
Debi @ Adorned From Above

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

I pinned this :)

madridmom said...

Two questions: How many ounces is the can of milk? Also, approx. how many patties did this recipe yield? Thinking about cutting this in half since 6 cups of sugar is a lot to invest in a new recipe and perhaps a half recipe would yield enough for what I need. I've been looking for a recipe to make these and this one looks amazing.

Lish @ Imprintalish said...

For the questions above-it's actually been a year since I've made them so I've completely forgotten how much this recipe makes-although it is a lot, which is helpful when gifting them out :) so splitting the recipe should work out ok! Again, off hand I have no idea the size of condensed milk....I've only ever seen one size, which is slightly smaller then a standard size soup can. That's in Canada anyway :) Sorry!!! Wish I had better answers for you :)